Samagra Shiksha as an umbrella scheme launched during 2017-18 which subsumed SSA, RMSA and Teacher Education (TE) for holistic approach of developing teaching skills and providing quality education to the children across India. The UT of J&K has been following a policy of: -
- Providing primary school within a radius of one km. However, the distance norm has been relaxed by the UT from 01 km to 0.5 km in the following habitations: -
- Habitations located on hill slopes. Small habitation cut off by Nallah / Streams from the habitation having schooling facility
- Habitations separated by National Highway / Busy Road
- Habitations located in forest area.
- Upgrading primary schools to the level of upper primary schools within a radius of 03 km having two feeding primary school.
- Upgradation of Middle School to Secondary School must have a distance of 05 km with a minimum enrolment of 25 in the highest class.
- Upgradation of Secondary school to Higher Secondary school must have a distance of 07 km with a minimum enrolment of 35 in the highest class.
- Village population and magnitude of out of School Children (OoSC) is also having a direct impact on the feasibility of the schools to be proposed for opening or upgradation.
Almost all the habitations have been provided schooling facility as per the norms fixed by MHRD and the UT Government. However, there are still certain inaccessible pockets where schooling facility for children is yet to be provided.