The Integrated Scheme on School Education aims to look at education of all children including children with Special Needs (CwSN) in a continuum from pre nursery to class XII. The scheme will cover all children with special needs with one or more disabilities as mentioned in the schedule of disabilities of the Right of the Persons with Disabilities (RPwD) Act, 2016 studying in Government, Government-aided and local body schools
- Identification of children with disabilities at the school level and assessment of her/his educational needs.
- Provision of aids and appliances, assistive devices, to the children with special needs as per requirement.
- Removal of architectural barriers in schools so that students with disability have access to classrooms, laboratories, libraries and toilets in the school.
- Supplying appropriate teaching learning materials, medical facilities, vocational training support, guidance and counselling services and therapeutic services to children with special needs as per his/her requirement in convergence with line departments.
- General school teachers will be sensitized and trained to teach and involve children with special needs in the general classroom. For existing special educators, capacity building programmes will be undertaken.
- CwSN will have access to support services through special educators, establishment of resource rooms, vocational education, therapeutic services and counselling.
The scheme will cover all children from pre nursery to senior secondary stage studying in Government, local body and Government-aided schools, with one or more disabilities as defined under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act (2016) namely:
- Leprosy Cured persons
- Hearing Impairment (deaf and hard of hearing)
- Locomotor Disability
- Intellectual Disability
- Mental Illness
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Cerebral Palsy
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Chronic Neurological conditions
- Specific Learning Disabilities
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Speech and Language disability
- Sickle Cell disease
- Multiple Disabilities including deaf blindness
- Acid Attack victim
- Parkinson's disease